Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Coastal adventures continue...

 After Capitola, we ventured further south to Monterey/Carmel. I had arranged for us to stay in a hotel that was listed as being located in Carmel, but was actually located in Marina, CA (20mins North of Carmel). One would have thought the address would have given me a clue, but obviously it was not my most observant day. We were still able to spend the rest of our afternoon wandering around Carmel and on it's beautiful beach, but decided to head back to Marina for the evening.

For dinner we found the Kula Ranch Island Steakhouse at the Sanctuary Resort on the Marina State Beach. I wouldn't call it a must-stop, but if find yourself (or screaming little ones)starving and not able to make it to Monterey, it's a good option. It is a Hawaiian themed restaurant with lots of Hula decor and even a ukulele player who was really sweet to play multiple songs for Jack. The food was so so, but the service was great and we felt very comfortable to Jack there.

Below is my personal rating system:
1 (I could have pulled my hair out) to 5(I wanted to give hugs and high-fives)  & other important details...
Food: 2
Service: 4
Child friendliness: 4
Best dining time: Anytime
Baby changing station: Yes
Stroller access: Limited
Restaurant website: http://kula-ranch.com/

Sunday we finally headed to the Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Festival. It was wet so the crowds were more docile than normal. This is a great way to get into the mood for Fall and Halloween, but the crowd can definitely try your patience!! There are lots of vendors selling pumpkin everything-pumpkin pie, bread, beer, hats, ornaments, etc. There are also a couple of stages on which a variety of bands play through out the weekend, including a Radio Disney sponsored stage. I'm glad we went, but don't think I will make this an annual event-maybe every couple of years. On a side note, there are plenty of farms on Hwy 1 that have pumpkin patches, corn mazes, and other fun harvest activities/produce.
Festival website: http://www.miramarevents.com/pumpkinfest/about_show.html

One place I will definitely visit again is Sam's Chowder House in Half Moon Bay. After spending the cold drizzly morning perusing pumpkins, it was the perfect place for lunch! Matt warmed up with the famous Chowder and I had the Gumbo. But, being a seafood lover, I can't wait to return to try the rest of the menu.There were children of all ages everywhere, but layout, views, and the vibe still make recommendable to your most anti-babino friends. I wasn't the biggest fan of our server, but the bus staff rocked and kept the bread coming as quick as it hit the floor.
Below is my personal rating system:
Food: 4
Service: 2
Child friendliness: 5
Best dining time: Anytime
Baby changing station: Yes
Stroller access: Easy
Restaurant website: http://www.samschowderhouse.com/


 Matt and Jack enjoy the sand in Carmel

 Sam's Chowder House, pics from their website

No comments:

Post a Comment